Monday, March 17, 2008

Connecting The Dots

It was almost 15 years ago when I was a freshman as a fashion major student in China, I first watched movie Bathing Beauty (出水芙蓉) and madly fell in love with the beautiful clothes owned by the leading character Caroline Brooks. In a degree that I adored the white shawl she wore to the poolside so much, I watched the movie three times and made a similar shawl for myself. It is also from then and this movie, fuchsia has been my favorite color, till today.


My choice of Fashion major was purely a childhood intuition. Fashion just started in China back then and there was no much inspiration we could get. Hollywood movies were a source but they were rare in China. Language was another barrier for us to understand the movies well because English listening comprehension skills even for college students were largely poor, needless to say culture or dressing etiquette.


During the next ten years, I didn’t follow the original institution to become a fashion designer, but I did manage a career revolving around ready-to-wear business. Like everybody born in mid 70’s in China, I went through college graduation, changing jobs, studying English, applying graduate schools overseas and realizing the dream of crossing Pacific. In spite of these distractions, a passion for fashion has always been there for me just like an old friend from now and then reminds who I am: no matter it was the temptation to get that glorious $100K+ consulting or investment banking job as an MBA student or struggle to define myself while going through culture shock in another country.


One day I woke up and found myself armed with abundant resources and capabilities to get around to the language and culture, I discovered my passion for fashion again - I want to interpret the fashion from classic movies in a way that is easy to understand and get inspiration from for those who haven’t been able to do so. And thus my blog http://whenfashionmeetsmovies.blogspot.com/ was born.


“You've got to find what you love,” Steve Jobs told us three stories in his graduation speech for us. One of them was about connecting the dots. He said: “you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something - your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.”


When I look my life backwards according to Jobs’ suggestion, I did find some dots were connected in some way! Find a passion, stick to it and connect dots. Life sometimes brings me nowhere and I’ll always believe the passion is the guidance and all the dots will be connected in the future.


No comments: